hunting
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

S410k thumbhole stock

4 posters

Go down

S410k thumbhole stock Empty S410k thumbhole stock

Post  onbellyman Sun Apr 04, 2010 11:43 am

Here goes....
First attempt to show a stock I made for my Air Arms S410k.
I wanted a thumbhole style with adjustable butt plate so made a full size model in pine to see how it felt. I ordered a piece of walnut from Custom Stock in Sheffield (very helpful they were too) and got busy in the garage!
I've used it now for the past 5 years and been happy with it. It has now been transferred to my FAC S410 Classic. As my shooting style has altered slightly over the years, I will make some changes to the next one I make for my CZ 452. (Got a big lump of laminate ply from the States for that...)

S410k thumbhole stock ?action=view&current=Thumbholestock
onbellyman
onbellyman

Back to top Go down

S410k thumbhole stock Empty Re: S410k thumbhole stock

Post  onbellyman Sun Apr 04, 2010 12:00 pm

Bugger - that went wrong!
I tried using the "insert image" button and pasted in the link below but it doesn't show my picture.
Instead, here is the direct link:

https://s971.photobucket.com/albums/ae193/onbellyman/rifle1/?action=view&current=Thumbholestock.jpg

Perhaps someone can tell me where I'm going wrong and explain how i get the picture on here???
onbellyman
onbellyman

Back to top Go down

Post  bosslady Sun Apr 04, 2010 3:04 pm

I'll av a look n find out wot went wrong n get bak 2 u

bosslady

Back to top Go down

Post  onbellyman Sun Apr 04, 2010 5:01 pm

Thanks bosslady.
I did wonder if it was something to do with using this BBcode or HTMLcode thingy. I only just registered with photobucket and used the url address that came up on there???
onbellyman
onbellyman

Back to top Go down

Post  PUG-N-POLO Mon Apr 05, 2010 10:54 am

Nice job!!! How long (and how much) time and money did that take/cost you!!! Awesome stock!!!!!

PUG-N-POLO

Back to top Go down

Post  onbellyman Mon Apr 05, 2010 4:03 pm

Thanks Pug - glad you like it. well at risk of sending you to
Sleep , here goes...
My mate has a Daystate Mk3 with thumbhole stock (lovely gun with brilliant trigger and the quietest air rifle I have ever come across - but I wouldn't admit that to him that of course Twisted Evil ) and he doesn't like my design one bit! I think it's the large bulge (hamster???) in front of the trigger that he dislikes most but for me it was an important part of the design. I wanted it to be practical rather than have beautiful flowing lines so the bulge is a big help when taking standing shots if I rest my left elbow on my hip with the bulge resting on my left palm. and the high cheekpiece was needed given the height of the scope. i'm sure you can see the influence of the Weirach 100 pistol grip which I tried at the midland before making the stock and found it so comfortable to hold i decided to make mine the same
It is the first stock I have made so was very pleased with the way it turned out. i didn't want to cock it up 'cos the walnut cost £70 including the postage. The only other cost was the adjustable butt which i got direct from air Arms - i think it was around £15 at the time and a tin of tung oil.
I finished it with around 20 coats of oil - rubbing down with fine wire wool between coats. i got bloody fed up with that game i can tell you but it was worth the wait in the end 'cos the finish is nice semi-matt and easily repaired if it scratches. I just wipe the mud and crap off it and give it an occassional rub with a bit of oil on a rag and that seems to keep it in good nick.
I can't remember exactly how long it took to make. The real work went into making the pine model first and sorting out the best way to do the inletting for the action. Ended up using a pillar drill and one size of router for that job but it took some figuring out. The shaping was fairly easy using rasp and surform, etc.
making the model really showed me a lot of useful stuff before making the walnut one. The stippling on the grip was done with one of those hand-held engraver tools that vibrate Embarassed like hell but I just kept letting it knock little chips off the wood until it looked right. I guess making the walnut stock including inletting, shaping and stippling took around 3 days. Then the sanding, oiling/wire wool, etc finishing took around 20 days but only because each coat of oil had to go into the airing cupboard for 24 hours or so to dry/harden the oil.
The one I've got planned for the HMR will be based more on military lines and the pine model I've been using over the past few months has again helped to show where I need to make changes to my original design before committing to Laminate. Really looking forward to working on this stuff 'cos it's three colour ply and i think it will look good when the laminates show through.
I'm hoping to do a blue peter type breakdown of how it is made in case anyone would be interested in giving it a go for themselves but don't want to make any promises just yet. Better to start cutting and see if I make a Teapot of it first! affraid
Cheers,
Zaitsev
onbellyman
onbellyman

Back to top Go down

Post  bosslady Mon Apr 05, 2010 4:16 pm

onbellyman wrote:Thanks bosslady.
I did wonder if it was something to do with using this BBcode or HTMLcode thingy. I only just registered with photobucket and used the url address that came up on there???

rite hun, this is how u do it
click on host an image
click browse
choose ur pic n click host it
it takes a min
click copy next 2 image url
then click on the image icon - its next 2 host an image
right- click on the grey bit
then click ok
S410k thumbhole stock 13110

bosslady

Back to top Go down

Post  bosslady Mon Apr 05, 2010 4:17 pm

that pic is just 2 show u it can b done lol

bosslady

Back to top Go down

Post  onbellyman Mon Apr 05, 2010 4:56 pm

OK - time to see if I can follow simple instructions scratch study

[img][/img]

Obviously not........ No
onbellyman
onbellyman

Back to top Go down

Post  bosslady Mon Apr 05, 2010 5:00 pm

onbellyman wrote:OK - time to see if I can follow simple instructions scratch study

[img][/img]

Obviously not........ No

lol sorry my instructions r crap

click post a reply
underneath subject
click the icon wit the pic n disk - host an image

bosslady

Back to top Go down

Post  onbellyman Mon Apr 05, 2010 5:28 pm

Just to prove it wasn't a fluke...

S410k thumbhole stock Standi10

there's no stopping me now geek
onbellyman
onbellyman

Back to top Go down

Post  onbellyman Mon Apr 05, 2010 5:39 pm

Ooops. still can't get it right.
I thought i'd managed to post the stock picture - together with a "thankyou" to you bosslady for your help.
I'm not as clever as I thought. it seems my post didn't get through.
Still - I'll repeat the message that should have been posted before my last gloating one.

Try again
S410k thumbhole stock Thumbh12

Yippeeeeee cheers bounce bounce bounce

Thanks b'lady. I can now go to bed happy in the knowledge that I've learnt something new (again) today.
onbellyman
onbellyman

Back to top Go down

Post  PUG-N-POLO Tue Apr 06, 2010 1:33 am

Thanks for the breakdown of the making of the stock!! I admit tho i wont be trying anything like that. Would probably end up looking more like a bird box bith a barrel pokin out of it!!! Smile

PUG-N-POLO

Back to top Go down

Post  onbellyman Tue Apr 06, 2010 3:32 am

Cheers mate. Smile
onbellyman
onbellyman

Back to top Go down

Post  lawman Tue Apr 06, 2010 3:40 am

Dont be afraid to have a go at making stocks. just get a lump of ply or any crap wood and use that. it doesn't matter then if you cock it up Smile

lawman

Back to top Go down

Post  onbellyman Tue Apr 06, 2010 3:53 am

[Dont be afraid to have a go at making stocks. just get a lump of ply or any crap wood and use that. it doesn't matter then if you cock it up Smile]

Listen to this man Pug - he's right!
Although i appreciate it isn't easy if you don't have access to certain tools (I'm particularly thinking of a pillar drill and router) it would be worth considering as a project sometime in the future. you end up learning a lot and with something that is uniquely yours.
onbellyman
onbellyman

Back to top Go down

Post  Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down

Permissions in this forum:
You cannot reply to topics in this forum